Secondary students engage with authentic media content, instructional strategies, and digital tools that support development of the skills, dispositions, and content knowledge needed to be successful outside the classroom.
Key Content Knowledge
Discovery Education’s digital content is available across multiple modalities (videos, images, podcasts, reading passages, and interactives), aligned to state standards, and organized by subject with curated channels for specific topics.
- Newsy (US Partners): Students can stay informed about important topics and issues with straightforward, opinion-free news and documentaries.
- Podcasts (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Engage students with a modern, portable collection of podcast series on topics including science, technology, history, art, and more.
- Financial Literacy (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Understand how to become a wise consumer by learning about good financial choices and the tools available to help you manage your money.
- Explore Space with NASA (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Learn how NASA has paved the way to explore wonders of the universe. Learn about the groundbreaking technologies, daunting missions, and extraordinary talent of astronauts, past and present.
- Best of Interactives (US Partners): Immerse students in engaging digital activities that support math, science, and social studies topics.
- Virtual Field Trips (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Transport students beyond the classroom walls and into some of the world's most iconic locations for rich and immersive learning experiences.
Key Cognitive Strategies
Instructional strategies and digital tools provide opportunities for students to conduct research, interpret information and sources, and communicate their findings.
SOS Instructional Strategies: Research-based strategies support students as they develop thinking and communication skills.
- Citing Evidence (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
- Inferring and Predicting (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
- Researching (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
Studio: Students move from being content consumers to content creators, building slideshows and boards to demonstrate their understanding and perspectives.
- Welcome to Studio! (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
- Teacher Guide: Studio (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
- Student Guide: Studio (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
Key Learning Skills and Techniques
These resources support students’ metacognition about their learning, such as self-awareness, motivation, goal setting and more.
- Social-Emotional Learning Center (US Partners): This curated collection of hundreds of resources provides students with learning materials and strategies to develop social-emotional skills and dispositions.
- Wellness (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Examine the multiple dimensions of wellness that support a healthy and fulfilling life.
- Healthy Decisions (US Partners): Resources that explore the benefits of making healthy decisions.
Key Transition Knowledge and Skills
These collections of learning content and experiences offer students support as they consider career paths, postsecondary education, and their roles as citizens of the world.
- Corporate Education Partnerships (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Learning resources and student challenges grounded in real-world application, including STEM, health, civics, and the environment.
- STEM Careers (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Opportunities to learn about fascinating STEM careers through a variety of resources including career profiles, student activations, challenges, classroom activities, Virtual Field Trips, and more.
Interested in sharing this with others in your school or district? Share the link to this article or the PDF below.