Assessment Builder is a single tool that incorporates Technology Enhanced Items (TEIs) and allows educators to randomize questions and hide scores and answers from students. It also allows students to complete assessments over multiple sessions.
Access Assessment Builder
Select Assessment Builder from the Global Navigation menu on any page.
Create a Customized Assessment
To begin, select Create Assessment > Practice Assessment.
Note that if you have access to Techbook products, you have additional options: Concept-Based Assessment and Standards-Based Assessment.
Once you select the type of assessment to create, follow these steps:
- Enter a Title.
- Enter Instructions.
- Optional, select the checkbox to Display Assessment Items in Random Order.
- Select Save and Continue.
- Save to one of your My Content folders, select Add New Folder, if needed.
- Select Add.
To add questions to your assessment, select Create Item to customize your question or enter a term in Search for Items to pull from a question bank.
To create customized items, select Create Item and follow the prompts. You can select from the following question types:
- Multiple Choice
- Multiple Select
- Short Answer
Then, enter the following:
- Question Prompt and Responses
- Metadata (Optional)
- Select Save Draft > Add to Assessment
From Assessment Manager > Assessment Builder, use Search for Items to find assessment items from a bank of questions that match your units.
Enter your keyword and select Search. When results appear, use the filters, such as Item Types (e.g., Selected Response, Drop Down, Select Text) and Categories (e.g., Summative, Practice Formative), to narrow your findings by categories.
When you find an item you want to use, select +Add to move it to your assessment.
When you are done adding items, select Assign to share with your entire class, groups of students, or an individual student.
Then, follow these steps:
- Step 1 - Title and Instructions: Give the assignment a title and write instructions and select Next.
- Step 2 - Assign to: Select entire classes or a group of students within your classes and select Next.
- Step 3 - Schedule: Select the start and due dates of the assignment and select Assign.
- Step 4 - Confirmation: View confirmation of the assignment.
To view the newly assigned assessment in your Classroom Manager, select View Assignment Manager. To close and continue, select Okay.
Note: When assigning content to students, students must have a Discovery Education account and your classes must be set up. If you are unsure how to do either, explore these articles: