Clever Secure Sync integrates with your SIS to automatically create, organize, and maintain teacher, student, and class roster data in Discovery Education. Clever Instant Login (SSO) allows teachers and students to access Discovery Education by simply clicking the Discovery Education icon in Clever. Many districts are using Clever as a portal for access to their online services and applications.
Read about our expanded partnership with Clever.
(All requirements must be confirmed to proceed)
- All schools, teachers, and students that subscribe to Discovery Education services must use Clever.
- Only Staff, Students, and Class data that exist in Clever will be synced to Discovery Education.
- Only buildings that are matched between Clever and Discovery Education will be synced.
Steps to Implement
- Determine that Clever Secure Sync with Instant Login (SSO) is your technology of choice.
- Enable Clever to begin syncing data to Discovery Education.
- Prepare existing Discovery Education user accounts for conversion.
- Determine launch date and communicate it to Discovery Education staff.
- Communicate new login method and launch date to teachers and students.
- Discovery Education maps existing users based on unique identifiers.
- Discovery Education converts existing users to utilize Clever Instant Login.
- Data is synced nightly from Clever.
Users will log in to Discovery Education through the Clever portal page or Instant Login links in third-party portals. Users may also navigate directly to https://clever.discoveryeducation.com.
Once Clever Instant Login is launched, users will no longer be able to log into https://www.discoveryeducation.com using a username and password.
Any previously saved hyperlinks that are not configured for Clever Instant Login will prompt users to log in directly to www.discoveryeducation.com will no longer work. We recommend implementing two options in this case:
1. Update existing hyperlinks with the SSO subdomain:
https://www.discoveryeducation.com should be updated to
2. Advise users to log in via Clever before clicking saved hyperlinks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do users go to log in with their Clever accounts? Users should log into Clever using their normal district method (e.g. username/pw. badges, etc.), then click on the Discovery Education icon. Users may also navigate directly to https://clever.discoveryeducation.com
What is the cost for Clever Secure Sync with Instant Login? Is there an agreement involved? There is no cost or agreement involved for Clever Secure Sync.
When can we launch Clever Secure Sync with Instant Login? Best case, same day. Worst case, a few days. It depends on whether or not you have users already in Discovery Education, how clean the user accounts are that will need to be reconfigured for Clever, and how much time you need to inform users that changes are coming.
What happens to existing Discovery Education user accounts? Will they keep their saved content and work? Teacher accounts are mapped across the two systems based on matching email addresses or Teacher IDs, and configured for Clever Instant Login (username updated). If users are mapped successfully, then all saved work will remain intact. If the email addresses or Teacher IDs are not stored in Discovery Education, additional strategies are recommended for preparing teacher accounts for mapping and conversion:
- Ask teachers to log into Discovery Education and ensure that the email address in the profile matches their district email address. Failure to do so may result in a new user account being created.
- Upload a teacher CSV via the Bulk Import tool to update the existing email addresses and Teacher IDs. Teacher accounts can be exported from Discovery Education by navigating to My Admin > Bulk Import > Update Rosters > Teachers. Update email addresses as needed, save as .csv, and upload via the Bulk Import utility.
- If only the domain differs between the email address and the email address in Discovery Education, perform a Find and Replace in Excel.
- If the entire email address differs, a VLOOKUP in Excel between old email address and email address may be required.
Student accounts are configured for Clever Instant Login based on matching Student IDs between the two systems. Feel free to contact Discovery Education to discuss a launch plan for your district.