User accounts, classes, and rosters (class enrollments) can be managed through our .csv import system. To get started, a username with administrative access to discoveryeducation.com is required. If you do not have an administrative username, please contact Discovery Education’s support team (1-800-323-9084, Option 1).
The import templates and upload tool can be found within My Admin > Tools > User Import.
Column Headers and Required Fields
This section gives a high level overview of the Column Headers and the fields in each template. Ensure that all columns and headers are present, even if optional fields are not used.
Important: For each template, all column headers must be present and all required fields must be populated. A list of required fields can be found on the import page under the Details link for each file type. Any extraneous commas within the data must be removed, or contained within double quotes (eg. “smith, jr”).
- Headers: SchoolName, SchoolID, FirstName, LastName, Username, Email, TeacherID
- Example: MLK Middle School”,”1234-ABCD”,”John”,”Smith”,”JSmith@schooldistrict.com”, ”JSmith@schooldistrict.com”,”12345”
- Headers: SchoolName, SchoolID, FirstName, LastName, Username, Email, StudentID, Grade
- Example: ”MLK Middle School”,”1234-ABCD”,”Luke”,”Skywalker”,”LSkywalker@studentschooldistrict.com”, “LSkywalker@studentschooldistrict.com”,”98765″,K
- Headers: SchoolName, SchoolID, ClassID, ClassYear, ClassName
- Example: ”MLK Middle School”,”1234-ABCD”,”SCI12345.1″,”2021″,”Science Period 1”
This template associates the teacher and class data from the previous files to add the teacher to the class.
- Headers: SchoolName, SchoolID, ClassID, TeacherID
- Example: ”MLK Middle School”,”1234-ABCD”, ”SCI12345.1″,”12345″
This template associates the student and class data from the previous files to add the student to the class.
- Headers: SchoolName, SchoolID, ClassID, StudentID
- Examples: “MLK Middle School”, “1234-ABCD”, “SCI12345.1”, “98765”
Data Field Tips and Information
School IDs: These are the unique identifiers for each school in Discovery Education. They can be found in the My Admin section of the website. If you would like to use your own School IDs instead of our Site Passcodes, please let us know the corresponding IDs.
Usernames: Usernames must be unique to all of Discovery Education. We recommend using an email address to ensure uniqueness.
Creating/Archiving Data: Status column can be added as the last column of each template, if desired. Set the Status as 1 to add new data or keep existing data active. Set the Status as 0 to archive existing data. If Status column is not added to the template, the data will remain active.
- Example to Archive User: “MLK Middle School”, “1234-ABCD”, “Jane”, “Smith”, JSmith2@schooldistrict.com” , JSmith2@schooldistrict.com” , “6789”, 0
Once files are uploaded, data will be validated and imported immediately. For user security, passwords are not accepted as an import field. For students not set up with Single Sign-on, the Student ID can be used as a one-time password for students. Upon sign in, each student will be prompted to update their password.
To help prevent import errors, please be sure that each file is saved in .csv format and that the file name contains the word “teacher” or “student” or “class” or “roster”, depending on the type of import you are completing.
Once files have been validated and imported, they may be reviewed for errors under the History tab of Bulk Import.