Ready to move forward with an integration? Complete the SSO Request Form to begin the process and a member of the DE Technical Integrations team will be in touch.
ClassLink Single Sign-On enables students, teachers, and administrators to log into Discovery Education using ClassLink’s LaunchPad, eliminating the need for users to enter credentials to access Discovery Education. Provisioning and updating users and classes can be easily achieved via OneRoster REST APIs by adding Discovery Education’s OneRoster app in ClassLink and enabling permission to district data. If OneRoster is not currently used by your district, user management can be handled by posting .csv files with the required data to Discovery Education’s SFTP server, which is a process that can be automated. See Imports for Single Sign-On for details.
(All requirements must be confirmed to proceed)
- All schools, teachers, and students that subscribe to Discovery Education services must use ClassLink.
- Complete the SSO request form.
- Enable the Discovery Education OneRoster app in ClassLink.
Ability to generate and post .csv files with required fields to Discovery Education’s SFTP server. See Imports for Single Sign-On for details.
Steps to implement
See below for details.
- Select ClassLink as your technology of choice.
- Complete the SSO request form.
- Add the Discovery Education OneRoster app in ClassLink and enable permissions.
- Determine launch date and communicate it to Discovery Education staff.
- Communicate new login method (ClassLink LaunchPad) and launch date to teachers and students.
- Convert usernames that currently exist in Discovery Education to the ClassLink SSO format. Discovery staff will execute this process on your launch date.
Once ClassLink SSO is launched, users will log into Discovery Education by clicking on the Discovery Education icon in ClassLink’s LaunchPad or navigating directly to https://classlink.discoveryeducation.com.
Once ClassLink SSO is launched, users will no longer be able to log into https://www.discoveryeducation.com.
Any previously saved hyperlinks that are not configured for SSO will prompt users to log in directly at www.discoveryeducation.com will no longer work. We recommend implementing two options in this case:
- Update existing hyperlinks with the SSO subdomain: https://www.discoveryeducation.com should be updated to https://classlink.discoveryeducation.com
- Advise users to log in via SSO before using saved hyperlinks.
How it works
Users are authenticated into Discovery Education via ClassLink, provided that usernames in Discovery Education are in the required SSO username format. The Discovery Education SSO username format is: <ClassLink username>.<ClassLinktenantID>@classlink.discoveryeducation.com.
Note: This username is never known by the end user.
Steps to Implement
Add Discovery Education OneRoster application in Classlink and enable permissions.
- Log into the ClassLink OneRoster developer portal (https://console.oneroster.com/oneclick)
- Click on Applications.
- Click Add Application.
- Search for and add Discovery Education OneRoster.
- Specify the schools (orgs) and courses using Discovery (screenshot below).
- Notify your Discovery Education contact.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do users go to log in with their ClassLink accounts? Once ClassLink SSO is launched, users will log into Discovery Education by clicking on the Discovery Education icon in ClassLink’s LaunchPad or navigating directly to: https://classlink.discoveryeducation.com
What is the cost for ClassLink SSO? Is there an agreement involved? ClassLink SSO is free and no agreement is required. However, a DE SSO request form must be completed. Complete the request form here.
When can we launch ClassLink SSO? Variable timeline, typically two weeks. Once the paperwork has been signed and returned, and one of the user management options is in place, a launch date can be determined. Communicating the new login method is critical to a successful launch. We recommend launching on a Friday, at least two weeks after the agreement is returned and communication to users has begun.
What happens to existing Discovery Education user accounts? Will they keep their saved content and work? Teacher accounts are mapped across systems on email or Teacher ID and CONVERTED to SSO accounts (username updated). If email addresses or Teacher IDs are not stored in Discovery Education, additional strategies are recommended for preparing teacher accounts for mapping and conversion:
- Ask teachers to log into Discovery Education and ensure that the email address in the profile matches their district email address. Failure to do so may result in a new user account being created.
- Upload a teacher CSV via the Bulk Import tool to update the existing email addresses and Teacher IDs. Teacher accounts can be exported from Discovery Education by navigating to My Admin > Bulk Import > Update Rosters > Teachers. Update email addresses as needed, save as .csv, and upload via the Bulk Import utility.
- If only the domain differs between the email address and the email address in Discovery Education, perform a Find and Replace in Excel.
- If the entire email address differs, a VLOOKUP in Excel between old email address and email address may be required.
Student accounts are mapped to ClassLink accounts and CONVERTED based on matching Student IDs between the two systems. Feel free to contact Discovery Education to discuss a launch plan for your district.