Discovery Education Social Studies Techbook Model Lessons provide teacher preparation information, suggested instructional pathways and strategies, and insight on the strategic use of Discovery Education digital resources.
Access Model Lessons
Discovery Education Social Studies Techbook includes a model lesson for every concept. To access a model lesson, select a Concept and then select the Model Lesson tab.
Model Lesson Materials and Structure
Model Lessons are designed around local and national curriculum standards and include all components for teacher implementation. Model Lessons include resources for teacher preparation, such as learning objectives and essential questions; suggested lesson outlines by session with suggested activities; and lesson-specific Discovery Education digital resources. Model Lessons are organized in the following format:
- Learning Standards - Lists the national or state standards this lesson addresses.
- Lesson Overview – Summarizes relevant lesson information with quick links to additional content, including Lesson Objectives, Essential Question(s), Key Vocabulary linked to the Reference Library, and a Lesson Outline.
- Teacher Preparation – Important information about the lesson includes Background for the Teacher, Common Misconceptions about the concept, recommendations for Prior Knowledge for Students, and Additional Lesson Resources that may include Literacy Connections, Project-Based Inquiry instructional pathways, and differentiation pathways such as Strategies for Teaching Students with Special Needs and Strategies for Teaching English Language Learners.
- Sessions – One or more activities prepared by Discovery Education to help teach the key ideas to students. Sessions suggest approximate time needed to teach the concept, instructional ideas and strategies, links to the Discovery Education resources connected to the concept, and links to each of the 5Es sessions. Literacy Connections - Provides alignment of resources and activities in the inquiry learning cycle to the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies.
- Assignments and Resources – A list of all assignments and learning materials used in the lesson.