On any concept page, access a number of functional tools from the toolbar, including language options, student responses in the Dashboard, and an interactive glossary.
After selecting a unit, you have access to all parts of the unit, including the concepts taught, print and digital resources, a model lesson with ideas and strategies for instruction, assessments, review materials, hands-on activities, student assignments, preparation information for teachers, and more.
From a concept page, you can access a number of functional tools from the toolbar.
Language & Level - choose between English or Spanish as well as Reading Level, where available. (Reading Level A is on grade level; Reading Level B is below grade level.
- Reading Level A displays a Lexile range of 950L – 1150L text
- Reading Level B displays a Lexile range of 750L – 850L text
- Course Assessments - access summative assessment data for the concept
- Concept Dashboard - access formative assessment data for the concept
- Reference - includes entries for key content words and terms, including people, places, events, and general terms. Learn more about Reference below.
- My Notebook - highlight important concepts or vocabulary, then the interactive text automatically adds to the interactive notebook. Add new or additional notes, and the notebook saves and organizes it by course, unit, and concept.
Actions - add this concept to My Content or Quicklist for easy access later, assign to students, share with colleagues or students, or add to a Discovery Education Builder Tool.
Print Options - get a printer-friendly version of the page for printing or saving as PDF for offline access. Choose to print the page, all pages within the tab, or all tabs within the concept.
Tools - various tools are available to teachers and students to support learning in Techbook.
- Whiteboard allows students to create visual artifacts to share with teachers and classmates. Learn more about the Whiteboard (Canadian Subscribers).
- Atlas is a multi-layered, interactive map that allows students and teachers to toggle between map types, such as biome, satellite, and outline; add overlays, such as landforms and major cities; and use modern varied data for regions of the world.
- Global News shares recent stories from the Global Wrap series – a weekly, current events service where students learn about events that are happening in the real world, in a safe, age-appropriate news report.
Teacher View - toggle on and off to display teacher-only information, such as Teacher Notes and Model Lesson materials.
Key content words and terms, including people, places, events, and general terms, in Social Studies Techbook are linked to the Reference. Reference can also be launched anytime from the toolbar.
Each term includes details that include a definition and key context sentences for the term, a video segment discussing the term, and images or diagrams.
Definitions and key context statements are provided in both English and Spanish. Interactive Glossary terms are embedded throughout the Social Studies Techbook or they also can be found through the general keyword search.
The Social Studie Techbook Reference also includes the Immersive Reader functionality. Click the icon to open Immersive Reader which opens up many accessibility options, such as:
- Read aloud text
- Access a picture dictionary for words
- Translate text to over 60 languages
- Change the size, style, and color of the text
- Use a line focus tool while reading
- Highlight the grammar throughout the text
Learn more about Immersive Reader.