The Discovery Education LTI App in Schoology provides Single Sign-On (SSO) and an embedded search widget, enabling users to work seamlessly across systems to add Discovery Education content to Schoology.
(All requirements must be confirmed to proceed)
- Only schools that subscribe to Discovery Education services may have the app configured in Schoology.
- Ability to import user data to Discovery Education’s ia CSV files. See Imports for Single Sign-On for details.
Steps to Implement
- Complete the SSO request form.
- Build a process to generate and post CSV files (automation via SFTP is recommended). EBy default, emails are used to match users across Discovery Education and Schoology. See Imports for Single Sign-On for details.
- In Schoology, add the Discovery Education App with the Discovery-provided Consumer Key and Shared Secret. Task should be completed by an administrator.
How it Works
Users are authenticated into Discovery Education via Schoology, provided that the user’s Schoology Unique ID matches the Teacher ID or Student ID in Discovery Education.
The Teacher IDs and Student IDs should be provided on the imported CSV files. They may also be confirmed in the user’s profile by a DE Administrator in the My Admin section.
Enable the Discovery Education App in Schoology
WHILE LOGGED IN AS A SCHOOLOGY ADMINISTRATOR, FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO ENABLE THE DE APP:
- Navigate to the App Center
- Find the Discovery Education App and click the icon
- Click Install LTI App then Add to Organization
- Click Configure for the Discovery Education record on the Organization Apps page
- Enter the Key and Secret (and, if provided, the Custom Parameter)
- Use the Install/Remove tool to enable the app for users according to your implementation plan
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Discovery Education assignment grades be automatically sent to Schoology, and vice versa?
Discovery assessments can be embedded as materials in Schoology. Once a student has completed the assessment, the grade will appear in your Schoology gradebook. Learn more.
How do users log in to Discovery Education?
Users can log in via the Discovery Education icon on the left side navigation bar in Schoology.
What is the cost for the integration?
When can we launch the integration?
Once CSV files have been imported, adding the Discovery Education App can be completed anytime. Announcing the integration to users is imperative for a successful launch.
What happens to existing Discovery Education user accounts? Will they keep their saved content and work?
Yes. Existing user records and associated data (e.g. My Content, created resources, classes, etc) will remain intact. Teacher IDs and Student IDs may be updated using the CSV import system by matching existing users based on their username.
Existing DE username = JSmith and DE Teacher ID = 12345
CSV file provides DE username = JSmith and DE Teacher ID = 98765
The Teacher ID will be updated for the user once the CSV file processes.
We have already automated sending CSV files. What do I need to change?
If CSV files with user data are already being sent by an automated process, then please ensure that the Teacher ID and Student ID fields match the Schoology Unique ID. If they do not currently match, then updating those fields while keeping the usernames constant will perform the necessary updates. Please see the answer above for an example.
Can the Schoology integration be used with other SSO technologies?
Yes. The Schoology SSO token relies on the Teacher ID and Student ID fields. Many other SSO technologies rely on the Username field, which can allow for both technologies to work in parallel. See Imports for Single Sign-On for details.