Elementary students become life-long learners with developmentally appropriate media content across subjects, engaging instructional strategies that scaffold critical thinking skills, and digital tools to support students as they build their understanding and independence. Ready-to-use activities blend learning content with instructional strategies.
Media Content for All Subjects
Authentic, real-world content supports students as they learn about topics related to science, social studies, math, English/Language Arts, STEM and more. Multimedia content supports all types of learners with video, interactives, images, audio, and text and is organized into curated collections by topic.
- Virtual Field Trips (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Connect your classroom to the world with learning experiences that expand horizons and explore careers, cultures, wildlife and more.
- Science Content
- Earth to Luna (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Join animated character Luna on real-life and imaginary adventures to explore life, physical, and earth and space science concepts.
- Discovery Science Alliance (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Encourage scientific thinking as students learn to think things through, examine data, apply tools, and develop skills.
- Social Studies Content
- Animated Hero Classics (US Partners): Explore this series of biographies of scientists, inventors, explorers, and social champions from around the world.
- Holidays, Observations, and Timely Events (US Partners): Curated resources and instructional materials to support students in learning about special days of celebration, remembrance, and reflection.
- Math Content
- Problem Solving (US Partners): Engage students with videos and activities that support development of problem-solving strategies, as well as connections and communicating mathematical reasoning.
- Cha-Ching Money Smart Kids by Jackson Charitable Foundation (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Go beyond counting coins with these fun and engaging videos and activities that introduce concepts of finance to younger students.
- English/Language Arts Content
- Reading Rainbow (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Ignite a love of learning and enrich reading experiences while discovering the places and faces waiting inside books.
- Wordgirl (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Follow the adventures of WordGirl as she learns new vocabulary words every day.
- STEM Content
- Visual Classroom: The Language of Science and Math (US Partners): Learn science and math concepts, as well as the related vocabulary, in this structured series available in English and Spanish.
- Fishtronaut (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Explore bite-sized episodes that support problem-solving skill development in STEM topics related to life and earth sciences.
Engaging Instructional Strategies
SOS Instructional Strategies provide creative, research-based strategies that support students in developing critical thinking skills when engaging with information sources. These easy-to-use instructional strategies incorporate digital media into meaningful, effective, and practical ways.
- Summarizing (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
- Key Ideas and Details (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
- Vocabulary Development (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
- Compare and Contrast (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
- Questioning (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
These digital resources support students as both content consumers and content creators as well as provide equitable access to digital content.
Discovery Education Features:
- Closed Captions: Closed captioning is available for some videos and can be customized for text size, color, and background.
- Transcripts: Videos may have searchable transcripts that highlight text in sync with audio and visuals.
- Text Features: Reading Passages open in a PDF viewer window that includes additional features such as read aloud, page ruler, and page mask.
- Language Versions: A growing population of videos and channels that are available in multiple languages.
- Google Translate: Change the language of headings, titles, descriptions, and buttons within Discovery Education, as well as encyclopedia articles.
Studio: Students can engage in contextualized learning activities and supports as well as demonstrate their understanding of topics. Immersive Reader provides language, grammar, and reading support for text within Studio.
- Welcome to Studio! (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
- Teacher Guide: Studio (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
- Student Guide: Studio (US Partners | Canadian Partners)
- Immersive Reader
Ready-to-Use Instructional Activities
Hundreds of ready-to-use learning activities combine Discovery Education’s rich content with engaging instructional strategies. These ready-to-use activities can be customized or used as-is for a turnkey assignment. Educators can access ready-to-use content in curated channels as well as within a growing number of topic-specific channels.
- Learning at Home Channel (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Explore your interests, sharpen your skills, and have fun with this awesome collection of activities you can do at home.
- Student Learning Activities Channel (US Partners | Canadian Partners): Inspire curiosity around topics, places, experiences, and career opportunities with these engaging activities.
- Instructional Inspiration Channel (US Partners): This collection of quick instructional activities covers popular topics across science, math, social studies, English/Language Arts, health, and Visual and Performing Arts.
Interested in sharing this with others in your school or district? Share the link to this article or the PDF below.